Armand ‘Mondo’ Duplantis breaks world record again with World Indoor gold
Swede clears 6.20m in Belgrade as Vuleta wins and Pichardo claims silver medal.
Sweden’s pole vault star Armand “Mondo” Duplantis raised his world record to 6.20m on Sunday at the World Athletics Indoor Championships to add another gold medal to his growing collection as Ivana Vuleta soared to gold in the women’s long jump and Pedro Pichardo claimed silver in the men’s triple jump.
What to know:
- Global phenomenon Duplantis broke his own world record nearly two weeks ago with a vault of 6.19m at the Belgrade Indoor Meeting to get in the mood for the major championship meet in the same city.
- The 22-year-old duly coasted to victory with his initial 6.05m clearance seeing off Brazilian Thiago Braz’s 5.95m in silver and American Christopher Nilsen’s bronze effort of 5.90m before he failed at the first two new world record attempts then wobbled the bar in clearing his third to get the evening crowd on their feet with the last action of the busy, three days.
- The Louisiana native said: “To break the world record two times in two weeks, I can’t complain. The sky’s the limit. Another title, another world record – it’s been a pretty good day. Going over 6.20m for the first time, it’s hard to explain. It’s something that you can only dream of.”
- In the women’s long jump, Serbian Vuleta née Španović captured gold – her second World Indoor title after Birmingham 2018 – with a season world leading jump of 7.06m to fend off Nigerian Ese Brume in silver and Briton Lorraine Ugen in bronze as Italian Larissa Iapichino finished 10th.
- Portugal’s Pichardo picked up silver in the men’s triple jump behind champion Lázaro Martínez of Cuba with a national record jump of 17.46m as American Will Claye finished in fourth with 17.21m.
- Austrian Sarah Lagger finished eighth in the pentathlon with 4391 points after the five events and sprinter Mario Burke from Barbados could not make it past the semi-final stage in the men’s 60m.
Source: Red Bull Media House
You must be logged in to post a comment.